Translate

Monday 3 January 2011

A true start after a false start

Well as a sister of mine says often..."There's no killing the beetle!"  That referred to the Volkswagon Beetle car when we were growing up and was an indication as to its durability. Well I now use it for a metaphor in persistence!
IF YOU FALL, GET UP, DUST YOURSELF OFF AND PERSEVERE!  You will get there in the end!

I started the day well yesterday but did not make the fishcakes as promised, because the fish was frozen and I had not prepared well in advance. Well needless to say, when push came to shove, I picked up a handful of cashews and some chocolate truffles, saying goodbye to my Dukan diet for the day!

Well today was a new day! I lost 0.4 lbs (perhaps due to my successful half a day yesterday morning) and I made my fish cakes!

Breakfast : 120g fromage frais with 2 tbsp oat bran.

Lunch: 2 plain and 1 wheatbran coated fishcake, followed by 200g Dr. Oetker vanilla yoghurt

Dinner: 1/3 of Dr. Dukan's Tuna Quiche, sans Tuna but with Prawns instead  (and a sprinkling of parmesan)

Snack (s): 200g of Dr. Oetker Vanilla Yoghurt, 
                Equivalent of 2 slices of chocolate cake, cut into thin slices and toasted dry to simulate biscuits

Fluid intake: 1.5l water (sparkling) and about 500ml diet bitterlemon (always diluted 1/2 and 1/2 with sparkling water

Exercise: about an hour and a half of walking and standing (shopping) with a friend.

Well here is my recipe for the fishcakes:

Abi's Dukan Fishcakes
(gives 12x 125g patties or 'fish burgers')



Ingredients: 1kg frozen Bassa Fillets (from Farm Foods)
                   500g frozem smoked Haddock (also from Farm foods)
                  1 small diced onion
                  1 medium egg
                  seasonings to taste (including a stock cube if desired.

Method:
Thaw fish (Bassa and haddock) then cut into small pieces with a sharp knife.
Put in a bowl with all ingredients and combine.
Drop mixture on to baking trays 
and bake for 35 minutes.

Lift off baking tray and emerging juices on to a baking rack and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes.

For a 'breaded' fish cake, allow 1/2 tbsp of wheatbran per fish cake. Place wheatbran in a bowl. Drop desired mass of mixture on the wheatbran in the bowl and roll then toss so the fish is coated. Lift out and make into a ball and put on baking tray.

      Try it with any fish of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Abi and thanks for the recipe - I will try it soon. I love smoked haddock and had never thought about mixing it with other fish. Did you freeze the leftover fish cakes? Cheers Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too, Ros.I just stuck the fish cakes in the fridge. I know I will get through them in the next few days. I really don't know how well they will freeze but I think they should be OK because they do not have much water content

    ReplyDelete