Translate

Thursday 6 January 2011

A Confession

When I started out on July 26th, I was determined to go through this process without paying a dime to any individual, group or body! The only expenses I was prepared to dish out were food costs and the cost of the Dukan Diet book and The Dukan Diet Recipe book when it became available in September, 2010.
Well all that changed on Boxing Day when I saw the Dukan 40% discount offer or subscription to the official site. Upon investigation, at that time, based upon my weight, It would have cost me just over £92 for about 8 months coaching, which seemed so reasonable, having just been reminded a few days earlier that I had shelled out £67 a week for a very long time, a few years earlier on the LighterLife diet.
Well, I resisted an immediate commitment until January 1st, when upon weighing myself I discovered the devastating damage of a week of an unlimited high sugar, high fat diet on  a body that was in mid training for a major eating lifestyle change to low fat, low carb and high protein.
I thought back to my own particular problem-My psychological resistance to being below 14 stone! At 5 foot 7 inches or 171cm, Dr Dukan's goal weight for me of 11 stone 5 lbs takes me just inside the normal weight range, at BMI 24.9. I decided that I wasn't ready to compromise and decided to subscribe.
My new weight of 205+ lbs, meant that at 40% less, it would cost just over £142, carrying me to the end of November 2011. I hurriedly processed the transaction so that I would not over think it. And here I am on the morning after Day 4 of the official Dukan journey of piscean2764.
I must admit that I was a little underwhelmed by the support and facility at first. I couldn't admit it to anyone, but I felt It had been an unnecessary indulgence.
On Day 2, when I filled out my daily report, I claimed transgressions I hadn't made, read the advice then made them (high fat meat- processed sausage, lamb shanks x 2, a large glass of sherry etc!)
After a whopping 3.8 lbs drop on the second day of the attack (4.2 lbs in total after two full days) I gained 0.2lbs or 0.1kg on the morning of the 5th of January. I decided not to blog, but to seriously reflect!
I received an email from  a subsciption I have to the site of nutritionist, Dr Marilyn Glenville  with the subject ' Abi, Don’t Eat Rubbish – Dr MG Health Tip (Fat Around the Middle Month)'
It said:

Dear Abi,
Free Excerpt from my Book ‘Fat Around the Middle – How to Lose that Bulge for Good
(Fat Around the Middle)
Don’t Eat Rubbish!

As you eat or drink your blood sugar levels will go up and insulin will be released. But if you’re eating refined foods like sugar, white bread, cakes and biscuits or stimulant drinks like coffee, tea or cola, they’ll hit your bloodstream quickly.  More insulin will be released to deal with this sudden rise in blood sugar.  Once dealt with, the blood sugar levels will drop, but because you’ve triggered so much insulin, they’ll drop too low and you’ll soon feel hungry again. The higher the blood sugar highs, the lower the lows will be afterwards. 
As your levels drop, your body will do two things.  It will physically make you crave a cup of coffee or bar of chocolate to give you a quick fix to bring the blood sugar up again.  It will also trigger the adrenal glands to produce more adrenaline and cortisol to help it release stores of sugar to correct the low level.
I’ll be continuing to talk about how you can lose fat around the middle throughout this month, so do look out for my next email.
Tell a friend.   If you are lucky enough not to struggle with fat around the middle, but have friends or family who are not so fortunate, please do forward this email to them.  They can easily sign up to receive their own copy by clicking here. They will also receive my Foundation of Health e-book, absolutely free of charge.
Wishing you the best of health,
Dr Marilyn Glenville PhD
http://www.marilynglenville.com/?utm_source=MGe3.2jan11HT12ndSIGN&utm_content=MG&utm_term=LG&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HT10111LG


It really wasn't telling me anything that I didn't already know so it raised a very important question.
Why do I rebel by harming myself in the process? Surely deliberate consumption of unhealthy food is tantamount to self harming?
This line of thought shocked me and as Christmas is officially over on the 5th (from my upbringing, trees come down and you go back to normality and reality) I really needed a commitment to ME!
I raided my fridge and put together and gave away all non Dukan relics of Christmas, poured all opened bottles of alchohol down the drain and embarked upon the Dukan advised exercise regime from my own 'personalised' plan! I resisted the inevitable sugar cravings by eating a wider range of protein than hitherto, ensuring to imbibe some yoghurt or fromage frais or quark each time, I ate some toasted thinly sliced Abi's choc cake as a snack and survived the night.
Well today,after 4 out of 7 days of attack, I am another 1lb lighter! I am happy for small mercies at 200.6 lbs or 91.2 kg. That is 5 lbs in 4 full days (I weigh in the morning).
Honestly, my journey into uncharted waters only begins when I try to go below 189 lbs or 86 kg so that's where I am heading.
Wish me luck!

PS: just weighed myself after 'elimination or evacuation' and my day's weight is actually 199.8 lbs or 90.8 kg.
That is 1.8 lbs overnight  so that is 5.8 lbs in 4 days!
I must strive for more of the same !

No comments:

Post a Comment