Translate

Tuesday 21 December 2010

Reality check!!!

Facing facts, baring all- I must admit publicly now that when I cheat or eat a whole load of carbs over two days, my weight gain is never one, two or even 3 pounds (about 1.5 kg), but instead it is a whopping 6 pounds (about 3 kg). I.t is kind of embarassing and this is why I have not reported my weights once I went off diet. Today, however, I am ready to face this demon. I will admit it openly then I will explain the weight gain and now publicly reveal my remedy from the standpoint of my knowledge of ketosis and fat stores.

You know when I wrote that I had indulged in chocolates and would not report my loss till I was back at or below 190lbs,? ... my weight had shot up to 197. I attacked but kept re-offending and was not exercising and more or less stayed at 196-197. I didn't want to report that nor admit it to myself, so I stayed off the scales.

Once I decided to exercise and hit on my chocolate cake slices, I realised that a slice of my chocolate cake gave more volume, was extremely high fibre, gave a balance of protein and carbs (and fat), being chocolate based made it nutritious yet was low enough calorie to be comparable with a lighterlife snack!!! To my palate, it was also packed with flavour. So, to deal with the short term temporary build up of carbs and water in my muscles, a lighterlife style attack, ensuring ketosis in the shortest possible time (and therefore depletion of the carb store in muscles) would be my best bet.

I then built in my attack to include the choc slices. I day's oatbran is in 3 1/2 slices so I had 3 slices spaced through the day, yoghurt and pure protein as I desired. This, coupled with 20 - 30 minutes of light gentle exercise meant the weight fell off in 2 to 3 days!

It has worked once and is about to work again so I am sharing because I am determined to Dukan through the season because I will have a birthday in February and though I may not reach my goal by then, I really want to try.

Well after my weekend escapades, I was 196.8 lbs yesterday.
I ate :
breakfast -7 am: choc cake slice
brunch - 10.30 am: choc cake slice  (when hunger pangs struck!- remember that in ketosis, you don't get hungry so when you are, you know you are out of ketosis!)
snack at lunch time -1pm: Abi's chocolate delight
lunch at snack time - 5pm: 2 rottiserie chicken leg quarters (thighs and legs) sans skin.

I had a 330ml mix of half diet dry ginger ale and sparkling water or water every time I ate.

I was full enough and exhausted enough to fall asleep at about 8pm and missed a final meal.

Awoke at 12.30 or 00:30 and ate a choclate delight with yoghurt (that's when I took the picture) and today I weighed in at.....

193.2 lbs!

I will do another day then back to regular PV PP PV until my next social when I want to carb it.

I do not recommend making a habit of this, but I just want to share that it is possible to Dukan following a backward step and get back on the road!

How does it work?

Well this is my perception:

Remember about fat stores/ carb stores/ energy stores  being 'on the table' (muscles), 'in the fridge' (liver) and 'in the deep freezer' (fat deposits in the body), well, I actually learnt that on Lighter Life.

I know from that that when you go out of ketosis due to carbohydrate  consumption, your body immediately replaces the 'fridge' and 'table'  stores. These stores use water to 'hold' and the carbs and particularly the water make up that instant weight gain. Logically, getting the body to switch ASAP back to ketosis requires an 'emptying' of the 'fridge' and the 'table'. 

Enter Abi's Dukan Choc slice!  3 slices (or 2 slices with the remaining half a teaspoon of oatbran imbibed by sprinkling on yoghurt or even Abi's chocolate orange delight) means you reduce calories for 3 of your 5-6 meals and you eat PP for the rest.

If you do try this, let me know what you think.

Warning: This is just my opinion and second trial at recovering from a carb fest. DO NOT MAKE IT A CONSTANT HABIT! Liken this to 'The Morning After Pill!'

Happy Christmas!!!

2 comments:

  1. I want some of Abi's Dukan Choc slice!!!! yum yum!! I like how you've explained how the cake helps you get back on track. One thing I'm learning is that flavor is important and it's nice that you have made a recipe to help you along your journey!Very impressive! I'm your number one fan! x

    ReplyDelete